Volunteers make a difference! Become a volunteer and make a difference in someone’s life today!
Our caring and compassionate staff will respect your life, values and help you find “hope in your heart” as you leave your loved ones for your peaceful journey home.
To bring comfort and care to the patient and family as we listen to their needs and serve them in any way we can.
Who Are Hospice Volunteers?
Hospice Volunteers are compassionate, caring people from all walks of life and ages who want to help. Hospice volunteers support terminally ill patients and their families. They want to make a difference in the lives they touch during a difficult time and are an important part of the hospice team. A hospice volunteer becomes a trusted listener for the patient and caregiver.
What is Required Of A Volunteer?
- Caring and compassion for others
- Respect for others
- A giving heart
- A desire to make a difference
- Application with 3 references
- Completion of the screening process
- Completion of 20 hours of volunteer training by destiny
- A commitment to 2-4 hours a week for a total of 100 hours a year
Direct Patient Care: Visiting patients in their home environment giving respite care to caregivers, running errands, sitting with the patient for companionship as well as watching T.V., reading or reviewing their life stories as they share with the volunteer.
Indirect Patient Care: Filing patient documents, data entry and phone calls.
Overview Of Our Training Program
A twenty hour training program must be attended by all our volunteers. During the training, our volunteers will receive information about all aspects of hospice care.
Topics include but are not limited to:
- Overview of hospice philosophy and eligibility
- Concept of death, dying and grief
- Confidentiality and HIPPA
- Safety and infection control
- The hospice family including care, comfort measures and pain control
- Psychosocial and spiritual aspects of death and dying
- Managing stress for the volunteer coordinator
- Upon completion of training you will receive a certificate of completion
Those who are interested to volunteer at Destiny Hospice & Palliative Care may apply online. Thank you for your time.